Hampsterdance Discussion Board
Jesse

Jesse's topic

My goodness, it sure has been a while.

So...it hasn't been a very good senior year so far. I went out for my band fraternity this semester but didn't get accepted, and I will never fully know why. Since I'm graduating this year this was my last shot at it. That is on top of a friend refusing my christmas present, blocking me on AIM, and me watching the friendship crumble over winter break, which I at least partially blame myself for. So, whatever self-esteem I had left after that, went out the window.

I'm TRYING to fight back, for instance I'm a DJ for the student-run radio station now, and I'm running the activity committee for band and stuff. But the stuff above keeps coming back to haunt me. And I feel like I'm not being good to my sister because she watches me have emotional breakdowns and whatnot. She's stronger than I am...she's gotten into the fraternity, makes friends easily, and is a good leader. I feel like I'm just bringing her down.

*gives Jesse a hug*

I know this is easier said than done, but please do not be hard on yourself. You don't need to blame yourself, even partially. Watching your friendship crumble, hurts so much. Not being accepted into the fraternity was a blow, but when these things happen, there is always something better that comes along. Keep looking forward as you are doing. Being the DJ for the radio station is great!!! Congratulations!!! That is a great start. Running the activity committee for band should keep you busy and I am certain you will meet new friends.

Your sister knows that you are a terrific brother and I'm certain she is experiencing your pain. Don't think you are not being good to her or that you are bringing her down. Again you are being too hard on yourself. I truly believe that your sister loves you and hurts when you do.

As for things coming back to haunt you, try not to let this happen. You are too good for this. As much as you can, put it behind you and when the past surfaces, do something to get it out of your mind. Moving on is very difficult, but I do believe you are a strong person and will succeed. Look at your achievements and feel good about all that you have accomplished. If I was you, with your strong math background, your ability to create games, I would be sending a resume to Pixar. The combination of your skills is what they are looking for. I have a friend out there who works for Google and he has told me about the job situation and people are hiring. You could finish your masters in California. And probably on a scholarship, although the companies are paying so much that you wouldn't need the money.

Anyway, please know that we love you Jesse. We feel the pain you are going through and hope that you will know that we are always here for you. I do promise, things will get better.

Jesse, don't let the friend thing bug you. Anyone who blocks you on aim without giving you an explanation isn't worth your time, and definitely isn't worth stressing over. It's their loss. As for the emotional breakdown thing, you can always come talk to me online, here or elsewhere. And don't lose sleep over the band frat thing either. In a few years, I doubt anyone's going to care if you were in a band frat or not. You are a talented and accomplished person, and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Jesse, don't let the friend thing bug you. Anyone who blocks you on aim without giving you an explanation isn't worth your time, and definitely isn't worth stressing over. It's their loss. As for the emotional breakdown thing, you can always come talk to me online, here or elsewhere. And don't lose sleep over the band frat thing either. In a few years, I doubt anyone's going to care if you were in a band frat or not. You are a talented and accomplished person, and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Excellent points! I agree with Jesusfreak!

awww thanks everyone. Soo I gots a roommate for next year :) Actually I hooked up with two people and had to tell one of them no, which I hated doing. :unsure: But there are no 3-person apartments at my school (it's 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8...but not three :rolleyes: ). I think the roommate I picked will be a great guy to room with. He's easy to hang out with and stuff, and works hard but isn't too wound up either. Hopefully the guy I told no will find a good person too. Time for class, later everyone.

BTW I'm not using facebook and that stuff for lent. In case anyone cared, haha.

awww thanks everyone. Soo I gots a roommate for next year :) Actually I hooked up with two people and had to tell one of them no, which I hated doing. :unsure: But there are no 3-person apartments at my school (it's 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8...but not three :rolleyes: ). I think the roommate I picked will be a great guy to room with. He's easy to hang out with and stuff, and works hard but isn't too wound up either. Hopefully the guy I told no will find a good person too. Time for class, later everyone.

BTW I'm not using facebook and that stuff for lent. In case anyone cared, haha.

Of course we care!!!!! We will miss you when you disappear for Lent.

What great news that you have found a terrific roommate. I am really, really happy for you. It must have been difficult to tell the other guy that you couldn't room with him. Do you think you could find a fourth and have him room with you or do you just prefer two? I know that you probably struggled with your decision, but I am sure that you did what is best for you. This is excellent news. :D Thanks Jesse!

Nah this message board isn't part of the lent haha. It's mainly to stop seeing friend above on that stuff through a glass window and feeling regret. It's also just to help myself be more independent of that stuff so I don't take it too seriously.

Nah this message board isn't part of the lent haha. It's mainly to stop seeing friend above on that stuff through a glass window and feeling regret. It's also just to help myself be more independent of that stuff so I don't take it too seriously.

That sounds like a really great idea and I am certain it will work well. Always remember this, you are too good to allow someone else to make you feel bad. The control over your feelings must be yours alone. You did nothing wrong and you are allowing this person to make you feel bad and you definitely should not give him this control. He is the one acting like a child. You are a really terrific person and one day he will regret that he treated you this way.

I'm glad we will still be able to have contact with you.

Are you getting your portfolio ready to apply for Pixar? You are one of a very few talented people. Pixar is looking for people who excel at math and have the ability to write games. You are both! Get your portfolio ready as I have a friend who can help open the door for you.

Why thank you *bows*

My midterm grades are kind of disgusting. Well they're all B or above, but this time most of them are B's instead of A's. Maybe the stuff I posted above is having an impact. It's hard to say. I was hoping to keep my GPA above 3.8...we'll see what happens.

Why thank you *bows*

My midterm grades are kind of disgusting. Well they're all B or above, but this time most of them are B's instead of A's. Maybe the stuff I posted above is having an impact. It's hard to say. I was hoping to keep my GPA above 3.8...we'll see what happens.

You are not giving yourself enough credit. The courses you are taking are extremely difficult. B's are good. I do understand you want a 3.8, and I am certain you will get there, but please do not be too hard on yourself because you have some B's.

You are doing great!!! :)

B's are still pretty good, don't stress too much. Also, at my school at least, 3.75 and above is summa #### laude, so that's something to think about. (My gpa is like 3.69 or something like that)

B's are still pretty good, don't stress too much. Also, at my school at least, 3.75 and above is summa #### laude, so that's something to think about. (My gpa is like 3.69 or something like that)

Jesusfreak, that's wonderful!

*round of applause*

Ah, that makes sense then. Still, don't go too crazy. GPA is important, but not *that* important, at least not for most jobs.

I agree. No one asks what your grades were when you apply. Perhaps if it was a certain position where the grades were the deciding point, but I have never heard of that. Jesse, your grades are outstanding and the combination of your skills would get you an annual starting salary of over $300,000. You are doing extremely well and should be proud of yourself.

So I graduated today. :) It was a nice day overall. A bit warm (my face got a bit of sun burn), but at least the weather was on the nice side, and it was nice to see a few people off.

So my final grades aren't too shabby this semester. It was my worst semester in terms of grades but whatever. I still had my cumulative over 3.9 anyway, so I'm happy with that haha.

I get to keep my radio show next year, and I will stay involved with band and choir stuff. It's tough because graduating early kind of messed things up (band frat, section leader, etc.) but I hope new opportunities will arise. I'm excited about my rooming situation next year, and I'm next door to my sister which is cool.

Jesse...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Graduating early might have messed up a few things, but you will still be there and working on even more exciting courses! I think you will enjoy graduate school and you will see that new opportunities opening up. Glad to hear your sister will be close by.

Please do not give time to the thoughts that you might have missed something. I truly believe you will be much happier now that you have moved on to the next level. Also, I hope you start building a portfolio of your achievements in game design. There are lots of employment opportunities and I can give you some contacts that will open doors for you, if you are so inclined. There is a very, very small group of people who excel at math AND game design and there are lucrative jobs for someone such as yourself. The starting salaries are phenomenal and you would be with like minded people.

Now, go out and enjoy the summer. Please post a picture of you in your graduation gear. We would really love to see you in your cap and gown!

Let us know how things are going for you. Again, congratulations, you did great!!!

Thanks guys. Right now I'm learning spanish (my mom got free rosetta stone accounts!), and I'm taking a flash class until July which is pretty fun. I applied for an internship but I haven't heard anything back yet, but at least I have work lined up for the fall.

Thanks guys. Right now I'm learning spanish (my mom got free rosetta stone accounts!), and I'm taking a flash class until July which is pretty fun. I applied for an internship but I haven't heard anything back yet, but at least I have work lined up for the fall.

Free Rosetta Stone accounts!!!!!! I'm jealous!!!!!! You will pick up Spanish fast as you excelled at French. How is that going? The flash class must not only be fun, but really interesting. Good luck with the internship, I hope you get it.

Nothing much to report here, it is getting to be warm, which is always my favorite time of the year.

I finally decided to check and give the boards a visit. Thanks for the birthday wishes last year :P

Wow it feels like forever ago since I've been here, in a different life. Grad school has opened my world to so many different programming languages and so many places in the world of computers. Operating systems, networking, web development, and of course game design.

I presented my master's project about two weeks ago. I was nervous at first but after that I had a lot of fun - I had two of my professors come up and play the game together and watching them have fun (even if they got a game over twice) made my day. I'm still waiting for the grade (documentation is always the scary part, I don't know if it was complete enough) but otherwise I am completely done with school and have started job hunting. So it seems once again my life is about to change.

What else...oh, I started my first relationship in January. He is from new jersey and is so wonderful to me...he lives kind of in a ghetto area, and has for a while, so it has taken some adjusting on my end to the things he says or does, just as he has to adjust to me. But of course being different from each other is not necessarily a bad thing, and so far it's working out.

Sometimes I think about these boards, and my own message boards I ran in middle school. I still can't believe how much of a jerk I was to some people (Lauren) and I just wish I could apologize. It is so weird to think I used to be a homophobe, that I was such a hypocrite that I convinced myself I was straight and just having "urges". And how I used to think I knew everything, especially as a board administrator.

And today? I still might not know much more, but I do know better than before. I know better than to waste time judging others and pushing them away. I know that, despite what I thought up through freshman year of college, I DO need other people. I know that there are christians like me that do not see conflicts with things like homosexuality, that accept people as they are instead of giving a wag of the finger.

Well that's all. I have no idea how deserted this place is so...

*tumbleweed rolls across screen*

Hm my signature with my huge award cabinet seems to have dissapeared. Maybe I'll dust around and find it someplace.

Oh, my signature is there. Are signatures not allowed on this board? I also can't edit my posts (wait, was that ever an option here?)

Signatures are most definitely permitted! And no, unfortunately you cannot edit your post. I am working on things, but they come very, very slowly.

Ok, how do you get signatures to appear then? :wacko:

Ooh! It's in the "ignore preferences" tab. Ignoring signatures is the default I guess. ^_^

For a mintue I was wondering where all the signatures went...then I realized that I wasn't logged in so they weren't appearing orz I'm smart!

Hey Jesse!

Yeah, the boards had been for the most part abandoned at one point. For a good while it was just me and Horatio, swapping life updates. Lately, people have been showing up, and it's been great hearing what everyone's been up to. It's always interesting, reflecting back on what we were earlier on and to see how we've grown and realize we're continuing to learn. Also, I've apparently lost track of time, since I didn't realize about two years have passed since you'd last posted. :lol:

If you think you are able to miss two years, just think what happens when you are much older... time flies and all you know is that it is Christmas again. Sort of like the movie Ground Hog Day, except you are placing a year between each day.

Yay job hunting. Just got a "we haven't forgotten about you" email from the guys I interviewed last week. Apparently they're waiting for higher ups to let them to...something. So I still don't know about that job yet. :wacko: I also applied to a few other places so we'll see what happens.

Oh yea I graduated this past weekend. ^_^ Or re-graduated if that makes more sense. My sister also graduated. So now she's on to grad school and I'm on to the scariness of the real world.

So, do we start calling you Doctor? CONGRATULATIONS on graduating to both you and your sister! You have worked so very, very, hard and accomplished so very much! I am really proud of you!

Good luck on your job search, I am sure you will hear something soon!

Looking at this topic, it would feel weird to let it sit on a cliffhanger, despite it being six years ago... :P So yes I did get the job, have had it ever since, and I like it a lot. If nothing else, I like my coworkers, we are a pretty tight bunch and have each other's backs. I can't believe it's been almost 6 years already.

How do you efficiently wrap up events in 6 years? A really fun wedding (with an escape room and drag queen show to boot), a house purchase, getting two cats, playing lots of board games, creating songs and custom Tomb Raider levels. It has taken many ups and downs to get to this point, but I like the direction my life is headed.

Jesse, your life update sounds incredible!! Congratulations on absolutely everything! The great job, your marriage, the house purchase, and everything else along the way. I am thrilled to hear that you are still creating songs.

Yes, life does give you ups and downs, but the downs made the ups do much better. Overall, it is great news to hear that you are happy with the direction of your life.

Did you complete your doctorate? Are we going to have to call you Dr. Jesse now?

It's been cool to see everyone gather back around for a while and catch up~ It sounds like you've been having a great time!