!_HogwartsHamster_!

Best friend of horatio club!

PARIS !!!!!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I move to Paris?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.

MacKenzie is more and more lovely with each photo you post~ I remember my friend had a little tent thing that we LOVED when we were kids, I'm sure she's having a great time with hers as well!

Thank you both for your kind words. Seeing the improvement with each lesson is a great motivator in making me want to go further and further with photography, and it's definitely something I can see myself doing long into the future. I'm excited to see where else my lessons and ideas take me!

I hope things stay calm for you in Florida. Hurricanes always sounded terrifying to me. Probably because I'm used to tornadoes, where there's much less water XD Being landlocked for all my life has given me somewhat of a phobia of large bodies of water.

One of my coworkers is on vacation for 3 weeks, and it's already gotten pretty hectic in the office. My coworkers a great but we could use fewer customers! XD

I agree with you, - Kat -, MacKenzie is getting more beautiful every day.

Hearing that you are considering keeping photography in your life, into the future, makes me smile.  It is a great to hear that you will have a terrific hobby or perhaps business in your future.

LOL!!!  Hurricanes sounded terrifying???  Tornadoes are so much more terrifying!  The hurricane is slow and you can get out of the way.  A tornado forces the person to go into a spider filled storm shelter.  I am more terrified of spiders.  So, now we learn something about you, that you have a somewhat phobia of large bodies of water.  LOL!!!  

Summer is when almost everyone wants to take their time away from work.  The problem is that then, life becomes stressful and hectic.  I hope you can make it through this with your sanity.

This is the difference between the coasts and the midwest. All of my friends in areas like Florida never really care that a hurricane is coming unless it's one of the major ones. I was talking to some friends tonight and they said their biggest concern is if they lose wifi XD But hurricanes seem like a big deal to us! Meanwhile, coast people are afraid of tornadoes while those of us that live in Tornado Alley will stand outside and watch them roll into town.

You now all know about my mistrust of open ocean. Do with that what you will.

This week is doing its best to drive us all crazy, but at least tomorrow should calm down, and then it's a long weekend! I think these past few days have been extra bad because everyone is trying to get stuff done before the holiday.

Well, here comes Hurricane Dorian, a category five.  Yes, this is going to be a big one, headed directly for our house.  If this storm keeps heading towards our house, if you thought last week was bad, this week will be worse.  Ha, ha, ha... I am just giving you some warning.

Thinking about the open ocean, I think you have a healthy respect.  The ocean is a very powerful force of nature and it cannot be tamed.  It must be respected.  I watch people go out into the ocean three or more miles offshore, without any life saving equipment or other Coast Guard required supplies, and before they head out, they do not even check the weather.  In fact, I know of two guys who go three miles offshore in kayaks.  That is really not smart.  I think you are good with your respect of the ocean.

Would you promise me one thing?  If a tornado is coming, would you please head into the storm shelter?

I'm sending good vibes your way! I hope you come out on the other side of Dorian safely 💕

I can never understand people who do stuff like that. I think I would start to panic as soon as I couldn't see the shore to begin with, much less knowing I didn't have any kind of safety equipment.

Any time there is a storm bad enough for us to get warning, my family and everyone we know definitely head to shelter. We might watch the storm come in and go out but when it's actually on top of us we stay safe, and we keep the weather radio/channel on the whole time.

Thank you for your good vibes our way.  I did not head to Florida before the storm, but I might be heading there today, depending on the word I receive from the guys watching my house.  The house can be repaired, it is the trees that I worry about.  The house can be rebuilt in months the trees take hundreds of years.

Like you, I can never understand why people would go out on the water with no safety gear.  Then they are lost or stranded somewhere in the middle of the Gulf Stream, which is very scary.  I have done some search and rescue in the waters between Florida and the Bahamas.  You have a hard time seeing an eighty foot boat.  It is almost impossible to see a fifteen foot skiff, a kayak would be like spotting a little microdot.

Thank you for telling me that you and your family have been cautious.  Tornadoes seem very fast moving with not lots of time to watch.  During a hurricane, there are always those people who want to be out in a storm, looking.  They do not realise that they can be thrown around in the wind.

On the other side of the planet, New Zealand just experienced two earthquakes.  One earthquake, followed by one aftershock.  I hope everyone there is okay.

I wasn't worried about Dorian. I'm sad that some people died and so many in the Bahamas lost their homes, but I'm thankful it collapsed before it got to Florida. I figured it would. The reason I'm not afraid of hurricanes is that I have a week to prepare for it. I have time to batten the hatches, pack extra food, etc. I don't have time for that with a tornado, or an earthquake. I don't like the cold, so Florida is the only place I'd really want to live based on those criteria. And honestly, our regular summer rain is so constant, anything under Cat 3 is little more intense than that so who the heck cares? If a Cat 4 or 5 actually is coming, I'll take more precautions. This time around, I just bought a case of water, one I would have bought anyway.

LOL!!!  You also do not live on the coast where there is a mandatory evacuation order.  We were fortunate that a high pressure front parked itself along the coast and pushed the low offshore.  Those of us along the coast, were a bit worried because using the original models, where the front was further inland, the path would have meant that the worst part of the hurricane, the northwest corner outside the eye, would have been directly overhead our area.  Has your area ever seen a really strong hurricane?  My recollection was that the hurricanes downgraded once they came ashore.  

I'm not sure, you could check Gainesville and get a rough estimate. That's the nearest large city to me. We were without power for several weeks in 2005 when we had five hurricanes in a month, and there was flooding all over town, and trees falling down across a bunch of roads. It depends on the strength when it hits landfall, as far as intensity. If it's a big enough storm it doesn't even have to make landfall to affect us. Gaston saw half my city without power for a week two years ago. 

One of my coworkers has family in the Bahamas and told us about how bad it was there. It's terrible, my heart goes out to everyone there. I'm glad it wasn't able to reach Florida and cause more destruction.

For the record, we have always liked to watch storm clouds and the rain come in, but if there is any chance of a tornado, we wait the storm out in shelter. I may be very midwestern but not even I am the kind of person who can stand outside and watch the funnel touch down.

I hadn't heard about the NZ earthquakes, I have friends down there but they didn't say anything. I'll have to check in and make sure everyone is okay! I remember a while ago, a friend of mine in Australia had some earthquakes and really bad flooding in her town, it was really scary.

Topazia, it always makes me wonder why the power companies do not begin a process of placing the power lines underground.  Every year the power companies spend millions and so many people are without power, it would only make sense just to relocate the power lines.  I had no idea that you were without power for so long and had flooding.  That is incredible.  We worry about the storm surge along the coast.

- Kat -, I am sorry to hear about your colleague's family in the Bahamas.  I hope that they are not in Marsh Harbour.  The winds and storm surge did so much destruction.  I am waiting for word from my Bahamian friends.  They live in the Abaco's, Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay, and Freeport, Grand Bahama.  

Phew!  I am happy to hear you are not one of those people who stand outside and watch the tornado touchdown.  

The earthquakes are pretty scary.  I hope that your friends were far away from the epicentre.  

NZ friends are safe, they are on the other side of the country so they didn't really feel it.

The AC in my car and my house are both broken x.x Fall needs to hurry up and cool down.

Oh no!!!  I know that you are not a fan of hot weather, so you must be very uncomfortable.  That was the only problem when we lost electricity during and after a hurricane... no air conditioning.  This meant that you had to keep your windows open.  With the windows open the mosquitoes would eat you alive.  Somehow, they managed to squeeze through the screens to get inside.  You are waiting for fall to cool down, and I am waiting for the beginning of winter to have an end to the hurricane season.

Great news about your New Zealand friends.  Knowing that they are safe and sound is a relief.  

Your work anniversary is approaching.  Can you believe another year has passed?  It sounds so weird to sound like your parents, but time is flying by.  Soon, it will be peak for you with the holiday rush of everyone sending all of their packages.  It seems that as soon as you get past one peak, another one is approaching.  

The house AC is fixed! Still no AC in the car, though. I managed to get bitten a bunch by mosquitoes while the AC was down so I feel your pain x.x We've also had a huuuuge number of crickets this year for some reason. I usually don't really care either way about crickets, but there are so many in the house and in the building at work, and they die all over the place and spend all night screaming, so I'm ready for winter to take them out too.

I was just talking with a coworker about that today! 4 years seems like such a short time and a long time at the same time. We are FINALLY getting the last office position filled next week, so hopefully we'll be ready when peak hits. To be honest, I know my coworkers can handle it. It's management I don't have a lot of faith in.

I am getting more and more excited for my New Zealand trip as it approaches! I still have so much to do to get ready but I also want to leave tomorrow 😂

Avon Skin So Soft, the creme version, keeps mosquitos away, while making your skin feel wonderful..  I now carry a tube everywhere I go.  Yes, crickets can be quite invasive at times.  Sometimes I wonder what brings the hordes of crickets or locusts, but they sure do invade the place when they arrive.  The little carcasses are all over the place.  In high up places that you would never expect.  On top of cabinets or other odd places.

You will have completed four years and starting on the fifth year.  Congratulations!!!  Your feelings are the same all over the world.  Employees will give their best, but it is management that leaves everyone wondering.  The problem as I see it, is that a management position is a goal for some people and once they get there, they forget where they came from.

Your New Zealand trip will be here before you know it, and you will be back at work, even faster.  I am looking forward to hearing all about your exciting trip.

I remember hearing that about Skin So Soft, now that you mention it. I wonder if mom still has some...

A coworker is moving and unfortunately his new apartment does not allow pets, and he has two leopard geckos. He and I have talked in the past about how I loved keeping leopard geckos for my school and recently babysitting one for a friend while they were out of town, so he said he would give me the geckos and all of his supplies for them for free since he knows I have experience and will take good care of them. I'm very excited!

I'm gonna take so many pictures in NZ. Millions.

Oh my goodness!  You are going to be the proud parent of two leopard geckos?  That sounds incredible!  I am so excited for you.  Who will take care of them when you are in New Zealand?  Please send photographs of your new family members when they arrive.

Yes, if you mother has some Skin So Soft, you need to put a container in your suitcase.  The mosquitoes are monstrous in New Zealand.  I am looking forward to seeing all of your photographs from your trip!

On a weather related thought, we are very fortunate that the latest hurricane decided to head away from Florida.  Hopefully, all the rest of the storms for this year will stay offshore.  

I will! Two boys, and they're still pretty young so I should have them for a good long time. I'll take lots of pictures once I get them! I will be picking them up next Sunday.

I'll definitely need to pack some, then. And lots of sunscreen.

I'm glad you guys are safe, and I hope nothing else comes for you this year. Or any other year, for that matter.

WOW!  I am happy to hear that the leopard geckos are young.  Fantastic!  How long do they live?  I have a very large terrarium that Haku lives in.  It is a reptile cage.  For Haku, it is three feet long by two feet deep and is eighteen inches high.  Then I have a tube that runs from the bottom of the glass terrarium, through the screen lid and into a series of other tubes.  This way Haku can climb from his cage through a series of tubes into his other cage.  He loves his palace.

Thank you for your good wishes.  It is time for us to move out of Florida and let someone else deal with hurricanes.

As pets, male leopard geckos usually live about 10 years but some get as old as 20. These guys are just under a year so I'll have plenty of time with them. And to answer your earlier question, my brother loves lizards so he will likely help out while I'm on my trip, though mom and dad both say they'll help out as well.

I always love your hamster set-ups. It's so cool how you make these hammy palaces for your friends! I want to be able to do something like that some day.

Storms coming this weekend. Hopefully it breaks this humidity, I hate it x__x

With cold weather coming, I know you are happy.  How long is the season where you have unbearable humidity?

I am happy to hear that your brother will be taking care of your new family members.  With you parents as back-up care givers, the geckos will be very happy.  

My hamster set-ups can get pretty wild.  There is never any end to my creativity.  Sometimes I think that the hamsters do not like their weekly hamster cage cleaning.  I change around things and hide things, so make it more interesting.  There was one hamster that knew the tubes were his, but when I would change around the path, he would act like he had never seen the tubes before.  All the different personalities are such fun.  

I decided to take a few courses and this one online course has deadlines where your assignments are due at 18H00.  That is an awful time.  I really like when the assignments are due by 23H59.  That makes life so much easier.  Tonight, I have another paper due and I have been working on it all week.  It seems that I had all the time in the world, until last night.  Now I realise that I am pressed for time.