81 replies to this topic

#1 Hoops

Hoops

do you think it is rad to have hoops

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:12 PM

We have movie and book clubs, why not games? I'm going to change all that.

To review a game, give the title, system, genre, ESRB rating, and a score out of... seven. Yeah. Other stuff, maybe, but try not to spoil it.

Example: (inspired by Kat. xD I luff you, Kat.)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is an amazing text-based adventure/visual novel game on the DS, for the sort of people who enjoy that kind of thing. It's about a new defense attorney named Phoenix who has spiky hair. I mean, really spiky. I admire his hair. He solves cases and stuff... It's a pretty hilarious game, also. It's rated teen, which I think is suiting...
I give it a 7/7, because it's fun to yell OBJECTION!

So, uh. Go for it. Do as many as you so desire. Also, review games others have if you so desire. I want to see differing opinions. ;D

Hopefully this'll take off...

#2 Mushroom_king

Mushroom_king

I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,828 posts
  • Interests:Music, Vihjoe James, Internets, reading/writing, steampunk, anime, science, and general geekdom

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

EarthBound.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

#3 - Kat -

- Kat -

Wheeeere's the chapstick?!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,063 posts
  • Location:A place where the air always smells like warm root beer and the towels are OH-SO-FLUFFAY!
  • Interests:Fantasy, computer, video games, writting, gaming, and reading.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

We have movie and book clubs, why not games? I'm going to change all that.

To review a game, give the title, system, genre, ESRB rating, and a score out of... seven. Yeah. Other stuff, maybe, but try not to spoil it.

Example: (inspired by Kat. xD I luff you, Kat.)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is an amazing text-based adventure/visual novel game on the DS, for the sort of people who enjoy that kind of thing. It's about a new defense attorney named Phoenix who has spiky hair. I mean, really spiky. I admire his hair. He solves cases and stuff... It's a pretty hilarious game, also. It's rated teen, which I think is suiting...
I give it a 7/7, because it's fun to yell OBJECTION!

So, uh. Go for it. Do as many as you so desire. Also, review games others have if you so desire. I want to see differing opinions. ;D

Hopefully this'll take off...

<33 Hoops

XD Yeah, I didn't much care for the game, but I was a smidge envious of Phoenix's hair, which is, as Hoops said, quite astoundingly spikey. And yelling things like OBJECTION! and TAKE THAT! was really fun. I'm considering giving the game a second chance, even if I only do play it to yell.

#4 Cheesus

Cheesus

Super-cheese!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts
  • Interests:Hampsterdanceboards and video games + a lot of other stuffs. XD

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

We should not just review games, but discuss them.

For example:
Best rpg on t3h SNES?

I say super mario RPG. :P

#5 Arkcher

Arkcher

LET ME SHOW YOU MY POKEMONS

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts
  • Interests:reviving 10-year old accounts on the internet.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

For example:
Best rpg on t3h SNES?

I say super mario RPG. :P

Breath of Fire 2.
Best RPG of any platform.
and is for SNES.

quite possibly best game EVAR

#6 dog lover

dog lover

otherwise known as Mrs. E. John...

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • Interests:elton john
    john lennon
    books
    music
    peace and love

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

i don't have any video game consoles....

just my computer...

anyone like roller coaster tycoon? i used to be like obsessed with that game

~Liz

#7 Jesse

Jesse

Jesse The Timber Wolf

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts
  • Interests:Math, French, music, wolves, and charging aardvarks

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

My roommate was playing that the other day. It looked quite fun.

#8 Arkcher

Arkcher

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:55 PM

Quick review of one of my favored games...

Resident Evil 4.
Originally for Gamecube, has PS2 and PC ports, recently remade for Wii.
Genre, well, RE is notable for being the survival-horror style game, what with main character finding themselves in a hostile land, usually unfamiliar, with no choice but to fight to live and escape, and usually left with little means to do so.

Accordingly, its rated M.
That being for, well, its a creepy and relatively scary game. Its said to be rated for language and violence, but if you ask me, the violence isnt graphically detailed enough to be anything above T-level. (this being my own opinion.) Language, however, cant easily be explained without spoiling the game, but I will say that a majority of the profanity is spoken in Spanish.
so if you've taken spanish classes, this game is not for you.

Overall, I'd say its 6 out of 7. Its a very long game, my average run-through has about fifteen hours of gameplay from beginning to end. I have the Gamecube version, which is divided in to two game discs. the first 2/3s of the game are on the first, and as logically expected, the ending is on the second, but Point being that its a long game.
Being that long, it certainly has its moments, but parts can get very repetitive and monotonous. You can only make walking-in-to-a-dark-room-Ohnoes-theres-a-zombie-shoot-it-dead actually be scary so many times. The game has a lot of nice plot twists and a number of quite exciting points, so I'd say that overall its hit-or-miss, alternating frequently, its either grippingly awesome, or rather boring, never in between.

What I like most about this game, though, is replayability. I've gone through and beaten it about seven times now. (7x15= 105 hours wasted on it) Every time, Im surprised and had overlooked or forgotten some detail or room, or particular enemy. Most interesting though, is the feel of the game. Regardless of the fact I have ALL the biggest, most powerful guns in the game, twelve full-heal items on me, and maximum stamina, I still find myself nervously peeking around the corner in the later parts of the game.

The graphics on this game are outstanding for its time. I beleive it was in early '05, maybe '04. (I honestly dont remember, im just guessing) It has a few flaws and imperfections in graphics, but it has the smoothest, best animation I've seen, outperforming all other Gamecube games, giving a crisper, more clear image than Xbox, and higher quality than PS2. (Not sure of PC or Wii.) 7/7 for graphics.
Audio, well, it doesnt have any incredibly awesome background music. Its usually the eerie look-out-behind-you music, which is pulled off very well, so dont expect a tune you'll be humming to yourself later in the day. Theres nice clear voices and sound effects, though some foley sounds sound slightly unnatural to me. A pistol gunblast sounds more like a hand slapping a table, for example. A big, massive hand, but a hand nonetheless. I'd say 5/7 for sound. Its up there, but has more noticeable flaws.
Controls... I'd have to say 5/7 as well. Frequently you have enemies sneaking up from behind you, and should you stop to look around and fail to notice their heavy breathing, then you have a parasite-infected human strangling you from behind, and its not easy to shake them off, turn around and fight back. You'll get the hang of it, but even after that, its annoying and tricky.

For anyone who can tolerate some relatively graphic violence, and seemingly hopeless situations and the occasional subsequent nightmare, This game is highly reccomended. by me.
For the more squeamish or easily discomforted by such things, I'd just stay away from the Resident Evil series altogether. I would, though, look at the game overview from Wikipedia, as it will give you the storyline and summary of the game.

Again, 6/7, good game, pretty violent, rated M, thank you and goodnight.

#9 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:49 AM

Clickomania !!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Mushroom_king

Mushroom_king

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,828 posts
  • Interests:Music, Vihjoe James, Internets, reading/writing, steampunk, anime, science, and general geekdom

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:18 AM

For example:
Best rpg on t3h SNES?

I say EarthBound. :P

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final CUt*~*

You made a typo. I fixed it

#11 Cheesus

Cheesus

Super-cheese!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

I like t3h revyiew, arkcher-face.

And yes, I play t3h roller coaster tycoon games. Although, I prefer the first ones. (the original, corkscrew follies, loopy landscapse) as opposed to the more fancy ones. xD

#12 The Biggest Fan Of Fuzzy

The Biggest Fan Of Fuzzy

Hampsterdance Royalty

• HampsterRegular
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:07 AM

i don't have any video game consoles....

just my computer...

anyone like roller coaster tycoon? i used to be like obsessed with that game

~Liz

I was inlove with that game. But then I updated to Vista, and I couldn't play anymore. =[

#13 Hoops

Hoops

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Awesome review, Arkcher! Now I want to buy it...

But I'm saving up for a 360. Dx

#14 Hoops

Hoops

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:08 PM

Oh, and here's something I'd like to discuss: Which was better, Halo:CE or Halo 2? (I haven't played H3 yet, so...)

I personally like Combat Evolved better, though I guess I should log in the same amount of hours on both before I really decide. Graphics never really matter to me...

Which reminds me - I need to beat H2 when I get home.

#15 dog lover

dog lover

otherwise known as Mrs. E. John...

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • Interests:elton john
    john lennon
    books
    music
    peace and love

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

And yes, I play t3h roller coaster tycoon games. Although, I prefer the first ones. (the original, corkscrew follies, loopy landscapse) as opposed to the more fancy ones. xD

me too. i never got past the tutorials on RCT3

haven't played any of them in a while though...

#16 Arkcher

Arkcher

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

I feel like writing another review.
o:

Dont expect these real often, I just writes them when I have time to.

anyway.

Possibly the best game evar, and a common favorite among a vast number of HDers, I'll be reviewing
o:
SUPRA SMASH BRUDDER'S MELEE.
5/7.
yeah.
5/7.

Exclusively for Gamecube, a... action/fighting game, rated T. (I think it should be E though.)

This was the first game I saw in action for Gamecube, and it was just about the most awesome thing anyone could possess in this world.
I bought me a Gamecube as soon as I could, and this was the first game to accompany it. When you first get it, you may find it slightly uninteresting, but as you progress and unlock more features, It gets WAY up there.

This has to be the best fighting style game I've ever played. Whats unique about it, though, is that rather than the traditional stamina beat-your-opponent-to-a-bloody-pulp kind of action, No matter how many times your character gets shot, stabbed or bashed, they still stand tall, unharmed. They are, however, more easy to knock away with strong attacks as their damage meters increase.
The object of the game is to knock your opponent off of the stage, causing them to either fall to an inexplicable, detonating demise, or hitting them far enough that they just... 'die' from the side. Same for upward, flinging them upward far enough seems to take them out.
But with no blood at all, this game is suitable for a number of people. (in my opinion.) Should you get frustrated with the elaborate Metroid games, or die one too many times in Zelda, You can pop in SSBM here and take it out on the said failing character. very satisfying.

As you keep going, you unlock up to 25 characters, a few playing stages, gameplay modes, and so on. After you've unlocked and beaten everything, replayability can only go so far.

Replayability, I'd say 4/7. The game will NEVER get old if you have one or two friends to do it with, multiplayer is undoubtably the best I've seen. Should you be in it alone... wow, two rounds and you're ready for something else.
Graphics, 4/7. Very smooth, pretty sharp images, but it all moves much too fast for you to appreciate any of it. The high quality images go by too fast that you do see a nice 3-d image, but it moves too fast. Any character with a variable trail on them (such as capes or dresses or hairstyles) are ALWAYS showing up wrong somehow. They move unnaturally, fold in on themselves, or end up inside out on rare occasions. Although you should keep in mind that these are minor details, and not especially vital to gameplay. You always see and know whats happening, and it has great graphics if you arent in to the detail of it.
Audio, 7/7. Awesome soundtrack, very realistic sound effects, great voices, none too loud or quiet, they have fitting and appropriate sounds for everything.
Controls, 6/7. Having Y and X for jumping (respectively, both individually do the same thing), maybe its just personal preference, but I dont like that. The Z button wasnt so great for the Grab move, but I do like shielding and defense. The other arrangement of controls and attacks, are great, the C-stick and D-pad are generally useless, but we like them anyway. =D Movement, attacking, and combining attacks are great. Controls have their ups and downs, mostly ups.

It has a few little side features, like the Trophy collections. For accomplishing certain tasks (beating 1-player as a certain character or under a certain time, having won so many rounds, so on) you get a Trophy. They're simple 3-d images accompanied by an explanatory caption, summarizing the character or object your trophy is, Even if the trophies give some people nightmares. -cough-MK-cough-. This is nice and fun for about ten minutes, but its really kind of unnecessary and irrelevant.
Though one side feature which I am quite fond of is the Event Matches. They're basically scenario fights, nothing too exquisite, but they're usually preset fights. (Classic fight, being Mario with Peach against Bowser, for example.) Most of them include having 3 on 1 fights, or confronting single-player boss characters. I think they're fun. .. They're 1 player, but fun.

Overall, if you have a friend to play this game with, this game gets about 12/7 rating. Multiplayer pwns. By yourself, this isnt so great. Good for using up a good half hour of your spare time alone, but after you've unlocked and beaten everything, its just not interesting anymore, Multiplayer is about your only hope.
5/7. Multiplayer pwns, single player not so good.

#17 Mushroom_king

Mushroom_king

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

I used to love those games-I wish I still had them.

#18 Cheesus

Cheesus

Super-cheese!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

They just keep getting worse as they get newer. I liked the complicated simplicity of the first ones.

#19 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

...the complicated simplicity

:blink: :blink: :blink:

#20 Cheesus

Cheesus

Super-cheese!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

...the complicated simplicity

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I know. If you have played the game, you would understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users