Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 05:13 PM

Series: The Series of Unfortunante Events
Author: Lemony Snicket
Synopsis: The Baudelaire childrens parents have died and they must stay with new guardians in each book. They must be careful of Count Olaf, who is trying to steal the Baudelaire fortune.
Books: The Bad Beginning
         The Reptile Room
         The Wide Window
         The Miserable Mill
         The Austere Academy
         The Erzats Elevator
         The Vile Village
         The Hostile Hospital
         The Carnivorous Carnival
         The Slippery Slope (New)

I give it  a  :hampton  :dixie  :hado  :fuzzy  :hampton
Read It!

:D  Thanks MisterMusicHam.  That was great!  Would you care to comment on any other of the books that have been reviewed?  Anything to add or subtract?

#22 MisterMusicHam

MisterMusicHam

Newbie Hampsterdancer

• HampsterFan
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:All types of music, except jazz and little kids music (i.e. Barney)

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:03 AM

Series: The Series of Unfortunante Events
Author: Lemony Snicket
Synopsis: The Baudelaire childrens parents have died and they must stay with new guardians in each book. They must be careful of Count Olaf, who is trying to steal the Baudelaire fortune.
Books: The Bad Beginning
          The Reptile Room
          The Wide Window
          The Miserable Mill
          The Austere Academy
          The Erzats Elevator
          The Vile Village
          The Hostile Hospital
          The Carnivorous Carnival
          The Slippery Slope (New)

I give it  a  :hampton  :dixie  :hado  :fuzzy  :hampton
Read It!

:D  Thanks MisterMusicHam.  That was great!  Would you care to comment on any other of the books that have been reviewed?  Anything to add or subtract?

uhhhhhh..... i don't know. has anyone finished harry potter and the order of the pheonix? i'm only on chapter 29 8)  8)

#23 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 11:53 AM

:eek you people scare me! I am going to hide in my mini little shoe box and chew on it!

BOO! *gets an  :angry: glare from Horatio* Sorry... I didn't mean it. *offers hand* come out of your shoe box.

#24 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:15 PM

Ok... Im here to evaluate Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, (my god.)
Unsure how to layout this, I'm just going to wing it. (too lazy to find out.)

title: Hogfather
author: Terry Pratchett
Rating: 5 hamsters. (assuming its out of 5.)
Review: Let yourself be whisked off into this bold take on christmas and Santa Clause, a Discworld book featuring the ever loved Death (personified,) Susan, Albert (Death's assistant,) and of course, the Death of Rats. Introducing for the first time, the Veruuca Gnome (you've heard of the tooth fairy, right?), the GINGLEGINGLEGINGLE fairy, and the Oh God of Hangovers. Hogswatch is upon the Discworld, and the Hogfather is missing! But someone else is climbing down chimneys and scaring belief into Disc children...
HO, HO, HO....

Brilliant. Pratchett at his best. (Wait... pratchett at his best? why, that would be... all the time!) One of my all-time Discworld faves. One I love to read again and again. The perfect thing to get you in that holiday spirit.

I liked this book. Then again I love the books which have death in.

#25 Becky4goldie

Becky4goldie

Hampsterdancer

• HampsterFan
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fun<br>Games<br>Hamsters<br>Hampsters!!!<br>Computers<br>My gamecube<br>My friends<br>My GBA SP

Posted 21 December 2003 - 11:06 AM

My favorite book, no, books are animorphs, got to be
:hampton  :hado  :dixie  :fuzzy  :hampton
They are EXELLENT.
They are 5 kids that meets an alien called an andanalite that gives them the power to morph. All u have 2 do is touch an animal and u can become it whenever u wish.  But the reason why it happens is because of yeerks, parasetic aliens, if 1 enters ur head it moves ur arms, tilts ur head, even talks the words it wants 2 say and u can't move even a finger.  But over 3 days without any kandrona rays and it dies.  If u stay in morph 4 over 2 hours u stay in that body 4ever.  The 5 kids attack the yeerks and just about stay alive.  In 1 book they find a different andanalite- Ax (Aximili-Esgarroth-Isthill)- younger brother of the andanalite who gave them the morphing power.

#26 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:24 PM

The British will have to wait together  :P

We always have to wait. :(  oh well at least we get the ROTK at the same time as everyone else (excluding the Kiwi's who have already seen it!)

Oh well! As I said, we'll all wait together.

Yes, that's a good thing. Though we should be getting it first, as Tolkein was British  :D

Talking of Tolkien, did either of you see the Big Read final a couple of hours ago.  Out of the top 5 most popular books 4 were fantasy and guess what won?

The Lord of the Rings. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This is how the Big Read results should have been:
1st: LOTR trilogy
2nd: Hitchhickers guide to the Galaxy
3rd:His Dark Materials
4th:1984
5th:H.Potter
The reason Miss.Austen's book isn't in their is because all of her books need to be burnt. They are only good for firewood(paper)

Oh Miss Austen would not like to hear your words about her book.
:laughing  :laughing  :laughing

True but she is currently dead isn't she?

The reason Artemis Fowl didn't get in was because he was in 6th with the Alex Rider books follwoing in 7th. The excellent Jane Eyre rolls in at eight with several other good books such as To kill a mockingbird and Rebecca following on.

Well you know what I mean...

if she was alive, she wouldn't like to hear you say that.

#27 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

i like anne mccaffrey's series on pern and i like her crystal singer books.

i also like peirs anthony's incarnationseries where the major themes are pesonified.
the first book, death is personified by zane.
the 2nd book, time is personified.
3rd, fate. well, two aspects, anyway. both by the same woman, orb. then, of course, comes the fourth, in which war is represented by mym. he's part berserker.
the fifth is nature. gaea is orb's mom, i think.
the fifth and sixth are done by a different book company because they are god and satan.
book 5=satan or evil, by a corrupted monk.
and book six, the final one, a dead girl becomes the incarnation of good. God.
jesusfreak, dont go off. i read it from a christian's perspective, and a reader's perspective. both sides were a good read!
i definitely give this series a five hamsters! and a two thumbs up. i highly reccomend that you read each of these novellas. (short novel.) six in all, this is a great addition to any home library!
oh, yeah, i also like jean m auel.
there are six books in her "Earth's Children" series, where a girl named Ayla is raised by neanderthals, in that day called flatheads by cromagnun (upright, like today's humans.) in the second book, she is kicked out of her clan, the clan of the cave bear, also the title of the first book, and she meets up with jondalar. oh, yeah, she also finds a valley of horses, the title of the second book. in the third book, they find the mammoth hunters, the mamutoi, and the mammoth hunters is the title there. in the fourth book, the plains of passage, ayla and jondalar travel to jondalars home, the zelandonii. on the way, ayla ends up saving jondalar's life a few times. the fifth book, the shelters of stone, is when ayla and jondalar reach the zelandonii, and ayla meets other cro territories. (cro, for cromagnun) she also has a baby.
the sixth book isnt finished yet, i dont even know the title. but its the final in the series, and i cant wait. i give each of these series five hamsters! i hope you read them!

More books to read....great!!!!  You all are going to keep me very busy!!!

Good thing that I can read at work!!  Lucky me!!!!!  

(Except when I leave a library book somewhere, then it usually costs me an arm and a leg!)  

:laughing  :laughing  :laughing

#28 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:04 PM

The British will have to wait together  :P

We always have to wait. :(  oh well at least we get the ROTK at the same time as everyone else (excluding the Kiwi's who have already seen it!)

#29 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:18 AM

Has anyone done a Redwall book?Heres one right now!

Redwall:I give it...... :fuzzy  :hampton  :hado  :dixie  :fuzzy !
It is a very good book aout a abbey that is under the attack of Cluny the Scourge!It was written by Brian Jacques.One of my fav. writers! :D

This sounds wonderful!  I had not read a Redwall book, but I have added that to my list!  I just bought some of the Animorphs books today from a used book store near my house.   :D  :D  :D

#30 !_HogwartsHamster_!

!_HogwartsHamster_!

Go Anime!

• HampsterFan
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Location:My place! Where else? Oh! ANIME is cool! Remember that. Always. And sango is the BEST! Forget that. I'm mean remember it. No wait remember only the second thing, not the first. Whoops! I mean remember only both! Yes. That&
  • Interests:Writing, watching inuyasha, and talking

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:01 PM

Has anyone done a Redwall book?Heres one right now!

Redwall:I give it...... :fuzzy  :hampton  :hado  :dixie  :fuzzy !
It is a very good book aout a abbey that is under the attack of Cluny the Scourge!It was written by Brian Jacques.One of my fav. writers! :D

Have you got Triss? The latest book in the Redwall series or how about The Taggerung?

No .Currently I've only read 2 books in the series.But I am going to read them all. :)

#31 cow

cow

I AM AWESOME!

• HampsterFan
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Putting things in the fan. ...espically my dog.

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:25 PM

....oh yeah....I'd give it six hams three thumbs up...heh heh. ^_^

#32 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:34 AM

peirs anthony's books,are interesting and a wonderful read.
for future reference: Xanth looks like Florida.
there is even Lake Ogrechobee.
the rest of the world is Mundania.
cute?

and florida looks like Korea, the cherbourg penninsula, that penninsula where Kwala Lumpa is... etc. etc. etc.

Do you have any Korea author's that you would suggest that we read?  
???  ???  ???

On your next visit to Korea, see if there are some great books that you might want to suggest to the Book Club.

:D  :D  :D

#33 lexxscrapham

lexxscrapham

psychopath.. or psychopomp?

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts
  • Interests:british reality tv, science fiction

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

not that I recall.

#34 Unknown Cool Girl

Unknown Cool Girl

Newbie Hampsterdancer

• HampsterFan
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:53 AM

I know, really.

#35 Mastermind

Mastermind

Pop Princess

• HampsterFan
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Location:the land where GEORGE DUBYA BUSH IS NUMBA 1 AGAIN!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Interests:cats, books, animals in general, Elvis, and sports, and, of course, reading, and knitting.

Posted 09 November 2003 - 11:30 AM

well, since furry goodness, by yours truly is still in the wurks, we cudnt read that! (not like any1 wud want 2..) *scratches head*we cud all read the Bible? no, not every1 here is Christian, i think. how about......*searches thru library* hold on a sec, i gotta look more!

#36 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:50 AM

You know, red guy, lives in a very hot place, pokes people with his trident into volcanoes. You get the idea!

:laugh: That's one devilish description and it's won you a LAFTA :laugh:  :penguin  :laugh: .

Well that now makes 5 LAFTAs, only 6 more to catch up with Horatio!

#37 LifesEagle

LifesEagle

I rule the Universe

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts
  • Interests:Hi! I like Hamsters, but I prefer cats. I found this site in a book, called "The Best 500 Sites on the Web". I love all the dances, It is so cool.

NB. This was written in around 2003

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:42 PM

I love The Series of Unfortunate Events. Unfortunately, the Carniverous Carnival only came out a few weeks ago, so I have a long time to wait for the next one.  :sleepy:

My favouirte out of the series is The Reptile Room.  :)

#38 LifesEagle

LifesEagle

I rule the Universe

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts
  • Interests:Hi! I like Hamsters, but I prefer cats. I found this site in a book, called "The Best 500 Sites on the Web". I love all the dances, It is so cool.

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

Oh I thought that you did a great job describing the book.  I am heading down to the library to see if they have the books there.  BTW would you please give a Hampster Rating to your book.  Five Hampsters for outstanding, One Hampster for not great!

Thank you LifesEagle! 

:hado  :dixie  :hampton  :fuzzy   :hado   :penguin

Five Hampsters and a penguin

I'm glad you enjoy the sound of it!

I recently read "Number Ten" by the same author. I won't rate it today because I'm not on BAM, but at point point, it says that The Queen is a Natzi  :laugh:

The book store is ordering the series for me, some are out of print.  Please tell me which is the first one to read as there is no indication in the ordering process at the book store.  

They are in this order:

Adrian Mole aged 13 and three quarters
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
The True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (and Susan Lillian Townsend)
Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years
Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years

They are out of print? That's unusual. At Amazon.com, you can read the first few pages. The American covers are certainly different to ours.

I really, REALLY enjoyed them when I read them. Never has a book made me laugh so much, ever. The Cappuccino Years will always be my favourite... so, so funny...

:D  Thank you!!!  :D

You are very welcome - once again, I hope you enjoy them!  :D

I know someone on this board who DOESN'T like them, though  :P

#39 LifesEagle

LifesEagle

I rule the Universe

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 05:55 PM

The British will have to wait together  :P

Oh well! As I said, we'll all wait together.

Yes, that's a good thing. Though we should be getting it first, as Tolkein was British  :D

#40 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:36 PM

MY ratings on a few books:
   And Then There Were None: Good mystery, no final ending

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (book and movie) Do I need say? lol

The Dark Is Rising Series: Good vs Evil, British style book

The Left Behind Series: 2 different versions: Kids and Adults

Glad to hear your about your books.  Please give them a 1 (worst) to 5 (best) Hampster rating.  Thanks!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users