569 replies to this topic

#1 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 01:47 PM

Right heres how I rate the books that I'm gone to recommend we all read, first Op-Centre that gets  :fuzzy  :hampton  :dixie  Hado :hampton , any Artemis Fowl book gets  :hampton  :fuzzy  :hampton  :fuzzy  :hampton  :fuzzy x100+66 , O.K 666 isn't a legal rating but look at the numbers 666, 666 and 666 surley you recognize the number and its significance! You know, red guy, lives in a very hot place, pokes people with his trident into volcanoes. You get the idea! Any way serious for a moment. We should do Artemis Fowl first! Unless you don't have the series in which case I vote for Op-centre: Acts of War

The Grim Hamster lord, you pick a book, let's say one of the Artemis Fowl books, tell us the name, author (if you know it) your Hamster rating and then tell us a little bit about it and why we should or should not read it.

For instance when I was a kid, the first magnificient book my mother ever gave me was The Red Balloon.  I cannot remember the author, a gentleman from France I believe, but this is definitely a  :hampton  :hado  :fuzzy  :dixie  :hampton  book.  It is about a small boy, his red balloon and a small piece of his life.  I still occasionally reread this children's book as it is a very moving book.

#2 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:10 PM

The name: Artemis Fowl
The Author: Eoin Colfer
The Blurb: Twelve year old Artemis Fowl is a brilliant criminal mastermind. Not even Artemis knows what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories (that Horatio loves so much).These fairies are armed and they're dangerous. Artemis thinks his got them just where he wants them, but then they stop playing by the rules...
My opinion: This is an undescribable peice of Irish litreature. Just wait that sounds rubbish.... O.K new start. Well the blurb doesn't do it justice for it
a) doesn't mention the technology of the faries that I nicked and am using agiainst Horatio
B) Doesn't mention that Artemis is a suprisingly cold, tactical and ruthless boy. Not forgetting he has a witicisim for every insult (sounds like me).
c) doesn't even remotley metion the REAL hero, the Kleptomanatic Dwarf who has a serious case of Dwarven flatuence.
I reccomend this book because it goes away from the Hero and Heroine junk and gives you a refreshing change against the backdrop of Princess' stuck in towers with a fairy princes coming to free them :vomit This has an Anti-hero, a bull troll, a sarcastic centaur who bears resmblances to Sheena and a whole lot of Gold.... Remember that this falls into the Fantasy genre but is the whole diluted Princess rubbish changed into a modern, backstabbing and enjoyable tale of Karate chopping butlers, magic and dwarven flatuence.

Outstanding review...truthfully, due to your review, I would like to try reading the series.  

I thought you would like to know that the bedtime fairies are somewhat stirred up...you see it is this family of fairies that search the Milky Way for those wonderful Gold Stars, and the star fairies are not amused.  In fact, they are having a meeting this evening and I believe that you are on their list.  Also, you are being watched very carefully for using their fairy technology without a permit.  Just thought you would like to be aware of this.

Anyway, I had wanted to give you a Gold Star for this review, but the fairies told me that they were not pleased, so...next time!

Thats not much of an excuse for not giving me a star award! Anyway those faries have visited me and I sent them packing like I did with your Quizoal monkey assasin!

#3 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 05:11 PM

Series: The Series of Unfortunante Events
Author: Lemony Snicket
Synopsis: The Baudelaire childrens parents have died and they must stay with new guardians in each book. They must be careful of Count Olaf, who is trying to steal the Baudelaire fortune.
Books: The Bad Beginning
         The Reptile Room
         The Wide Window
         The Miserable Mill
         The Austere Academy
         The Erzats Elevator
         The Vile Village
         The Hostile Hospital
         The Carnivorous Carnival
         The Slippery Slope (New)

I give it  a  :hampton  :dixie  :hado  :fuzzy  :hampton
Read It!

You've read book the tenth!?! That isn't out yet! at least not in britan. Also I would like to point out that in the eight and ninth they're not with a gaurdian they are on the run from the police.

:D  So The Grim Hamster lord, you are quite a reader!!  What category of books don't you like to read???   ???

#4 LifesEagle

LifesEagle

I rule the Universe

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts
  • Interests:Hi! I like Hamsters, but I prefer cats. I found this site in a book, called "The Best 500 Sites on the Web". I love all the dances, It is so cool.

NB. This was written in around 2003

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:44 PM

Oh I thought that you did a great job describing the book.  I am heading down to the library to see if they have the books there.  BTW would you please give a Hampster Rating to your book.  Five Hampsters for outstanding, One Hampster for not great!

Thank you LifesEagle! :cool:  :D

:hado  :dixie  :hampton  :fuzzy   :hado   :penguin

Five Hampsters and a penguin

I'm glad you enjoy the sound of it!

I recently read "Number Ten" by the same author. I won't rate it today because I'm not on BAM, but at point point, it says that The Queen is a Natzi  :laugh:

The book store is ordering the series for me, some are out of print.  Please tell me which is the first one to read as there is no indication in the ordering process at the book store.   :D

They are in this order:

Adrian Mole aged 13 and three quarters
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
The True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (and Susan Lillian Townsend)
Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years
Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years

They are out of print? That's unusual. At Amazon.com, you can read the first few pages. The American covers are certainly different to ours.  :D

I really, REALLY enjoyed them when I read them. Never has a book made me laugh so much, ever. The Cappuccino Years will always be my favourite... so, so funny...

#5 mycee_mous

mycee_mous

Newbie Hampsterdancer

• HampsterFan
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Computers, forums, chat, websites, writing poems, writing songs, hanging with my friends & boyfriend, listening to music, dancing, babysitting, swimming, soccer, softball, reading.

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:42 AM

The Book: Series of Unfortunate Events
The Auther: Lemony Snicket
The 411: Its a great book, it reminds me of my 2 fav. books, (series i mean) harry potter; by J.K.Rowling ; and Artimis Fowl (sme1 alredy recomed that book) Its about 3 children, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. They are the Bualrdaire children who in the 1st book become the Bualdaire orphans when Mr. Poe; a good familly friend with the Bualdaire parents, and the head of the city bank, tells them on the beach that their parents and house was burned down, and their parents had died. I cant tell you about it anymore, or ill spoil the book! But, all the other books (so far all i know about is 10 books, i heard there is 13) are about their struggles, because Count Olaf, (youll find out more in the 1st book) wanted to get the Bualdaire fortune, and the books talk about how the Buarldaire orphans out-smart Count Olaf, (though i dont know the end; im only on the 3rd one) and his sneaky plans and disguises to grab the fortune.
My Rate:  :fuzzy  :hampton  :dixie  :hado  :logo id give it a definite 5 hampster, and a duoble thumbs!

#6 LifesEagle

LifesEagle

I rule the Universe

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts
  • Interests:Hi! I like Hamsters, but I prefer cats. I found this site in a book, called "The Best 500 Sites on the Web". I love all the dances, It is so cool.

NB. This was written in around 2003

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:13 PM

:D  It would be great to have a signed copy instead of one of the ones I am buying.  Did you buy it? Are signed books really expensive?  ???

It would indeed. No, I already have a copy, and it was about £15 for a paperback when I have the hardback. I spent on money on "The Diary of a Nobody" instead. :D
Yes, they are generally woth more.

#7 MisterMusicHam

MisterMusicHam

Newbie Hampsterdancer

• HampsterFan
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:All types of music, except jazz and little kids music (i.e. Barney)

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:40 AM

Sorry I've been away for a while....

I FINISHED HARRY POTTER FIVE!!!!

Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

Author: J.K. Rowling

Rating:  :hampton  :dixie  :hado  :fuzzy  :hampton

Synopsis: harry at his fifth year at hogwarts. there is a new defense against the dark arts teacher who is a woman. the new quidditch keeper in gryffindor is.....(read it to find out). plus, someone will die! but you must read it! also you find out why voldemort wants to kill harry and why he didn't die when he was a baby.

there is also some other books that I think are very funny, even though I have not read them yet. Barry Trotter. by Michael Gerber. there is Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody and Barry Trooter and the Unessesary Sequel.

GIVE A HOOT......READ

#8 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

Ok... Im here to evaluate Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, (my god.)
Unsure how to layout this, I'm just going to wing it. (too lazy to find out.)

title: Hogfather
author: Terry Pratchett
Rating: 5 hamsters. (assuming its out of 5.)
Review: Let yourself be whisked off into this bold take on christmas and Santa Clause, a Discworld book featuring the ever loved Death (personified,) Susan, Albert (Death's assistant,) and of course, the Death of Rats. Introducing for the first time, the Veruuca Gnome (you've heard of the tooth fairy, right?), the GINGLEGINGLEGINGLE fairy, and the Oh God of Hangovers. Hogswatch is upon the Discworld, and the Hogfather is missing! But someone else is climbing down chimneys and scaring belief into Disc children...
HO, HO, HO....

Brilliant. Pratchett at his best. (Wait... pratchett at his best? why, that would be... all the time!) One of my all-time Discworld faves. One I love to read again and again. The perfect thing to get you in that holiday spirit.

This is a book to be put on my list!  Thank you for that!  I will let you know when I have read it!  

:D  :D  :D

#9 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:37 PM

IN regards to my review on Ann-Marie Macdonald's "Fall on Your Knees," I would like very much to share my review, which I wrote. Though it is v. similar to my one here, it tells a bit more about the story without giving away too much to potential readers.

love always,
Kep

We appreciate all reviews.  They help when deciding whether to read that book or not.  Thanks!   :D

#10 !_HogwartsHamster_!

!_HogwartsHamster_!

Go Anime!

• HampsterFan
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Location:My place! Where else? Oh! ANIME is cool! Remember that. Always. And sango is the BEST! Forget that. I'm mean remember it. No wait remember only the second thing, not the first. Whoops! I mean remember only both! Yes. That&
  • Interests:Writing, watching inuyasha, and talking

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

I would like to meet some other people who like HP.Anyone out there?

*Hopes there is*

#11 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:17 AM

1984...that was a weird/good book. You should read it if you haven't.

When I was in school, I read 1984.  When the actual year arrived on the calendar, I made a point of reading it again.  It was really enlightening to read it again so many years later.

:D  :D  :D

#12 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:48 AM

As for the typo have you noticed how Horatio always preys on them.!

:laughing  :laughing  :laughing
Why yes... BP!  You know that old saying...
  You snooze, you lose!!!!!!

BTW, thanks for the LAFTA. I hadn't received any for a while and my LAFTA low level light was illuminated! :eek

*runs to kitchen cabinet, checks coffee supply*
Oh good... now I can type forever!!!
:laughing  :laughing  :laughing

#13 eddy

eddy

Newbie Hampsterdancer

• HampsterFan
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:05 PM

left behind is a good  book but very hard i give it a  :hampton  :dixie  :hado  :fuzzy

#14 Otter

Otter

Otter Ruler!

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
  • Interests:I love nature, animorphs, and my new favorite books Warriors!

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:28 PM

This book is called "Frog Girl", a native american folktale that my friend,Paul Owen Lewis(the author), put together using bits and peices of other native american folktales.
This is an award winner and will never leave ur heart!

A indian girl loves hearing the frogs sing, but one day 2 foolish boys go and put all the frogs in a basket, they will soon die.
She sobs and hears a voice rising from the ground. It was the only left frog.
The frog asks her to follow her into the lake and there is a underground frog kingdome. The frog turns into a green human with a frog's skin.
They go to the frog ladys grandmothers and she is mad her children will surely die, the young indian sets off to rescue the frogs...

Go to ur bookstore and read the ending!

#15 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 05:19 AM

Moby Dick
heman melville
interesting book, regarded by many as a great work of literature,
I especially liked the way ahab overlooked the hazards of his occupation, in the depths of his obsession.
also a great opening line:
"call me ishmael"
I highly reccomend an unabridged edition.
:hado  :dixie  :fuzzy  :hampton

Oh I love Moby Dick.

Have you ever read Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

#16 dog lover

dog lover

otherwise known as Mrs. E. John...

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • Interests:elton john
    john lennon
    books
    music
    peace and love

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:38 PM

About "Because of Winn-Dixie" (its by Kate DiCamillo) there was a dog named Winn-Dixie and the dog was named that because they girl who owns it found it in the Winn-Dixie grocery store. Hope that clears things up!

BTW, "Because of Winn-Dixie" is being made into a movie. (at least in the US i dont know about the UK or anywhere else)

bye! ---Dog Lover---

#17 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:59 AM

I read the Hoobit first, it was alright but certainly it didn't have the capturing Drama of LOTR.

have you seen any repeats of it?

That's intresting. In the Big Read there was that stupid idiot who kept saying that it was Douglas's friends work not Douglas's. That just really Pd me off.

It is really quite disgusting that she can't even comeup with some ideas. THere is only one thing I can say about it. It got small kids back into reading (her books)

#18 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:55 AM

Finally!  Here is the long awaited Book Club!  Anyone can post a book and write a review, recommendation or thoughts regarding this book.  We will have a rating system based on the Five Hampster Rating.  Five Hampsters will be outstanding and One Hampster will be the worst.

What I was thinking after listening to all who made suggestions is that we could write the name of the book and if you know the author, then put your Hampster rating next to this.  Below, write your comment.  Anyone who wished to comment on the book could then post a reply with their thoughts.  This book club is open to all suggestions and ideas.  So please,  let me know how to make it better!  What will be the first Book Club book?

:hampton  :hado  :fuzzy  :dixie

#19 The Grim Hamster lord

The Grim Hamster lord

Moab Is My Washpot

• HampsterRegular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 02:38 PM

The Blurb: Twelve year old Artemis Fowl is a brilliant criminal mastermind. Not even Artemis knows what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories (that Horatio loves so much).These fairies are armed and they're dangerous. Artemis thinks his got them just where he wants them, but then they stop playing by the rules...
My opinion: This is an undescribable peice of Irish litreature. Just wait that sounds rubbish.... O.K new start. Well the blurb doesn't do it justice for it
a) doesn't mention the technology of the faries that I nicked and am using agiainst Horatio
B) Doesn't mention that Artemis is a suprisingly cold, tactical and ruthless boy. Not forgetting he has a witicisim for every insult (sounds like me).
c) doesn't even remotley metion the REAL hero, the Kleptomanatic Dwarf who has a serious case of Dwarven flatuence.
I reccomend this book because it goes away from the Hero and Heroine junk and gives you a refreshing change against the backdrop of Princess' stuck in towers with a fairy princes coming to free them :vomit This has an Anti-hero, a bull troll, a sarcastic centaur who bears resmblances to Sheena and a whole lot of Gold.... Remember that this falls into the Fantasy genre but is the whole diluted Princess rubbish changed into a modern, backstabbing and enjoyable tale of Karate chopping butlers, magic and dwarven flatuence.

#20 Horatio

Horatio

HampsterModerator

• Super Administrators
  • 66,941 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:03 PM

Outstanding review...truthfully, due to your review, I would like to try reading the series.  

I thought you would like to know that the bedtime fairies are somewhat stirred up...you see it is this family of fairies that search the Milky Way for those wonderful Gold Stars, and the star fairies are not amused.  In fact, they are having a meeting this evening and I believe that you are on their list.  Also, you are being watched very carefully for using their fairy technology without a permit.  Just thought you would like to be aware of this.

Anyway, I had wanted to give you a Gold Star for this review, but the fairies told me that they were not pleased, so...next time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users